Location:Pure Sports Medicine clinic, David Lloyd Leisure, Bushey Road, Raynes Park London, SW20 8TE
This event is in the past.
By popular demand, we will be repeating last winter's talk on strength and conditioning for distance runners.
Middle and long distance runners rarely pay much attention to strength and conditioning. Yet the best clearly do - this is one of the changes Alberto Salazar made with Mo Farah - and there is good evidence that leg strength makes you faster and less injury prone. Unfortunately, runners often pick up on schedules aimed at bodybuilders or at people with too much time to spend in the gym; they find these interfere with life or running; and they stop before getting the benefits.
This is relevant to runners of all abilities and ages, and to coaches.
We aim to give you..
1. a lightning historical overview of what successful coaches and runners have done over the years
2. the current thinking in how best to gain strength while training for other sports
3. a few basic exercises and programmes which can make a difference.
The speakers include
- Annette Chase, Physiotherapist at Pure Sports Medicine and a former Australian international 10,000m runner, and member of local club Thames Hare and Hounds
- Andy Robinson, coach and masters runner, member of Thames Hare and Hounds and Kingston & Poly
- and our special mystery "model"!
While this is mainly a talk, you may wish to wear loose fitting clothing to try out some exercises.