Move over Python Julia is the AI Engineer’s new language!
For years Python has enjoyed the cult status of ‘go-to’ language for artificial intelligence engineers and specialists. While there have been numerous languages that came up to compete with Python, they were found lacking one way or the other.
But developers all over the world, were not satisfied with just one language. That’s when few developers got together and created a new programing language – Julia. Julia was everything that was Python and much more. Definitely much more.
In fact, it was touted that Julia has a speed edge over Python and could some competition to Python. Julia – an upcoming programing language – is gradually gaining momentum with AI professionals and AI engineers.
While Python is still the favorite language, Julia is garnering some attention of few of the developers and AI professionals with its speed efficiency. Considering how Julia is gaining momentum, it won’t be long before the swords are out and battle is drawn between the two.
Julia – The Upcoming Programing Language(s) for AI!
Julia is an open-source, dynamically typed, programing language, that was designed to excel at scientific and numeral computing. Created in 2009 by a four-person team and unveiled to the public in 2012, Julia was designed to address the shortcomings in Python as well as other programing languages. It was also meant to address any shortcomings in other applications used for scientific computing and date processing.
AI Engineers and Julia: Blossoming Love Affair!
Could there be some love blossoming between the developers (AI engineers) and Julia?
While Python has been the crown princess for AI developers, AI engineers, and artificial intelligence specialists, the upcoming programing language – Julia with its features also looks promising.
Let’s have a look at some of those features:
1. Julia is compiled and not interpreted.
2. It is an interactive programing language
3. Julia has a straightforward syntax
4. It combines the benefits of dynamic typing and static typing
5. Julia allows interfacing with external libraries like Python, C, and Fortan libraries
6. Julia supports metaprogramming implying the programs written in Julia can generate other Julia programs. Remember Lisp, well the Julia programs can also modify their own codes
7.Julia has a debugging suite that can execute codes in a local REPL that would allow AI specialists to step through the results, inspect variables, and even add breakpoints in code. AI professionals could also perform fine-grained tasks like stepping through a function that was generated by code
With the above-mentioned features, Julia could easily take over the crown from Python, however there is a slight disadvantage Julia has.
Julia and Python: Disadvantages of Julia
Julia’s major disadvantage is that it is fairly new language and is still developing. Being new programing language implies that the developer community is small.
How does that serve as a disadvantage?
• Well, a smaller developer community translates into fewer debugging tools for Julia as compared to Python.
• It also means the number of packages and libraries available to Julia are lower than the reigning princess Python.
However, that should not deter you from seeing some of the amazing advantages Julia has over the popular choice programing language Python.
Advantage Julia Over Python!
Despite being relatively new, Julia has some interesting advantages over the popular choice of programming languages for AI and here are some of them.
• The major advantage Julia has over Python is with packages. Yes, you can write the entire package in Julia
• Another advantage is that Julia solves the basic ‘two language problem’ thus eliminating the need to write the program twice.
• Speed is another advantage and a huge one at that along with other advantages like math-friendly syntax and automatic memory management Julia is touted to be the next popular choice in programing languages for AI.
The question would be – Are you ready to make the switch?