There are thousands of candidates that sit for Provincial Civil Service (PCS) exam under the aegis of Uttar Pradesh Public Service Commission (UPPSC.) There is a defined PCS syllabus which has to be covered by the aspirants for the exam so as to increase their chances of success.
Candidates should know that most of the states have their own state administrative examinations to recruit candidates in the state bureaucracy. These are called Public Service Commissions examinations. One such important state exam is Provincial PCS exam which is held under UPPSC. The date of the exam, syllabus and eligibility criteria are mentioned in the UPPSC Notification. There are a few salient points about the examination w.r.t. PCS syllabus, exam pattern that an aspirant must know. The UPPSC exam takes place in three stages:
The commission has a defined syllabus for the first two stages. The main subjects that are covered in the PCS syllabus are:
● Indian Polity
● Environment and
● General Science
Tips to Cover PCS Syllabus
The PCS syllabus mentions topics like Current events of National & International importance, Indian History and National Movement, Indian and World Geography, Indian Governance and Polity, Social and Economic Development, Environment and general science. Since the prelims is objective type paper, aspirants should try to be very clear with the relevant facts about the topics mentioned. The tips to cover the syllabus are:
1. Start with understanding the syllabus and the demand for each stage of the exam.
2. As it is a state examination, aspirants should clearly focus on the history, polity, geography and economics of the state as direct questions are asked from such sections.
3. Every topic mentioned in the syllabus should be covered and candidates should not try to skip any given topic to pace up their preparation.
4. Aspirants should focus on reading the state textbooks as these are fundamental to the subsequent readings of other reference books.
5. The past year question papers of the PCS exam should be used, analysed and practised by the aspirants to test their knowledge.
6. Candidates can use any one newspaper to cover current affairs for both prelims and mains.
A few important books for PCS preparation are:
History - School textbooks and IGNOU (BA) notes
Polity - School textbooks and Laxmikanth
Geography - School textbooks and Oxford Atlas or Blackswan Atlas
Economics - School textbooks and Sanjeev Verma’s The Indian Economy book.
Environment - PD Sharma’s Ecology and Environment Book
Candidates should always be updated by the current UPPSC Notification to be acquainted with all the guidelines related to the examination. The PCS notification helps candidates know the dates of the examination, the pattern of the examination and eligibility criteria. Following this information, an aspirant can have a rain-check for the application submission. As after the notification, an aspirant has to submit the application form. A correct and coherent application can only compliment your revision. Any mistake in filling the details in the application can lead to disqualification. Hence, to take-away, aspirants should cover the PCS syllabus, follow the notification of UPPSC, apply online carefully and revise notes to sail through the examination.