This event is in the past.
Director Mary Yost will hold auditions for West Side Story Sunday, March 5 (dance and vocal auditions), and Monday, March 6 (call backs; additional vocal auditions, if needed).
4PM-5PM (women's choreography)
5PM-6PM (men's choreography)
6PM-9PM (vocal auditions)
6PM-Call backs begin
Thursday, March 9
"From the first notes to the final breath, West Side Story is one of the most memorable musicals and greatest love stories of all time.
Arthur Laurents' book remains as powerful, poignant and timely as ever. The score by Leonard Bernstein and Stephen Sondheim is widely regarded as one of the best ever written.
The world's greatest love story takes to the streets in this landmark Broadway musical that is one of the theatre's finest accomplishments.
Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet is transported to modern-day New York City, as two young idealistic lovers find themselves caught between warring street gangs, the 'American' Jets and the Puerto Rican Sharks. Their struggle to survive in a world of hate, violence and prejudice is one of the most innovative, heart-wrenching and relevant musical dramas of our time.
Highlighting the talents of a young ensemble cast, West Side Story's exciting, sophisticated score by Bernstein and Sondheim is often considered Broadway's finest-its songs part of the nation's musical heritage. As originally staged by the legendary Jerome Robbins, the show is an impressive showcase for accomplished dancers." MTIShows.com
Roles to be Cast
*Almost all roles require strong dance skills*
- Riff-quick-tempered leader of the Jets; Tony's best friend Vocal range: Bb2-G4
- Tony-romantic young man, former leader of the Jets, he has found a new lifestyle now. Tony finds himself violently torn between his friendships and love. Falls in love with Maria. Genuinely sweet and sincere.
Vocal range: Bb2-Bb4
- Bernardo-proud, strong, handsome Puerto Rican, leader of the Sharks, seeks to carve out territory as a sense of identity for him and his friends, Maria's brother, Anita's boyfriend.
Vocal range top: Bb2-Eb4
- Maria-hopeless romantic and innocent young Puerto Rican girl. She falls in love with Tony and finds herself at the center of the violent conflict between the two gangs. Bernardo's sister.
Vocal range: Bb3-C6
- Anita-Feisty and assertive Puerto Rican. She dispenses "older sister" advice to Maria and tries to shield her from the dangers of the gangs. Bernardo's girlfriend and Maria's friend.
Vocal range: F3-D5
- Chino-angry and, at times, naive Shark who turns murderous and vengeful. Suitor to Maria and friend of Bernardo's.
- Anybodys-spunky tomboy who is desperate to become a member of the Jets. The other Jets mock her for her ambitions, but generally appreciate her company. Full of energy and heart.
- Doc-owner of the candy store where the Jets hang out. He tries to guide the Jets' youthful angst and provides a safe haven for Tony. Old fashioned and wise in his ways.
- Schrank-local police detective frustrated by the ongoing violence between the Jets and Sharks. Blunt, brash, and unapologetic.
- Krupke-local beat cop. He has no patience for the gangs' conflict and tries to keep tensions from errupting between them.
Jets, Sharks, Jets Girls, Sharks Girls
- Prepare 16-bars of a song in the style of West Side Story
Bring a CD, MP3 player, or other device with instrumentals only (no background or lead vocals).
- A monologue is not required.
- Call backs will be Monday after dance auditions and consist of cold reads from the script.
- Dance auditions will be Monday evening. Please dress comfortably and prepare to be on the floor for some moves.
Performance dates: May 12-June 3, 2017
Friday & Saturday performances are 8PM, Sundays are 2PM
Please join our Facebook Group beginning Monday, February 5, for more information or to ask questions.
Please sign up for your audition time slots at
Make sure to sign up for both a dance and a vocal audition time slot.