Welcome to the Thames Valley Scale Model Club. We celebrated our 40th Anniversary in 2016!
Our aim is to have a lot of fun and camaraderie while encouraging people to take up, improve, and most of all, enjoy, the hobby of building scale models.
We are an enthusiastic group of over 50 people of all ages (from 11 to 93 years young) with a shared passion for making and displaying scale models of Aircraft, Ships, Military Vehicles, Figures and many other subjects, made from plastic model kits (Airfix, Revell, Tamiya etc), resin, Vac formed or mixed media kits, and some brave members even make completely scratch built models. Many of our members are also Members of the International Plastic Modellers Society (ipmsuk.co.uk), and many belong to other model clubs.While most of the members are enthusiastic amateurs whose main aim is enjoyment & relaxation, we do have past IPMS National Champions, and recognised experts in their fields, who happily help the less experienced members.
Meeting time/Dates: We meet on the 3rd Tuesday of every month, at 7.30pm
Meeting Venue: in Liston Hall, Liston Road, Marlow, Buckinghamshire SL7 1DD. Free evening car parking is available behind the Marlow Waitrose.
Meeting Format: Every month, we display our latest creations, chat to fellow modellers, swap idea’s, magazines & books, sell kits, share new modelling techniques & news about our hobby. Free Tea & coffee is provided to keep the many & varied conversations going!
Competitions: We have friendly competitions every month, divided into classes depending on the type and size of the model, and age of the model builder. All competitions are judged by all the members. The monthly competitions lead to an annual competition in November, with the Trophies & Certificates being awarded at the Christmas Social meeting in December.
At the December meeting, we also have two memorial competitions:
The Christmas Plate - in 2019 the theme is "Blue".
The Edgar Brooks Memorial trophy for the best Spitfire.
Exhibitions: Some of our members attend model shows around the country exhibiting on behalf of TVSMC. We exhibit at the International Plastic Modellers “Scale Model world” show at the Telford international exhibition centre in November - see http://ipmsuk.org/ipms-scale-modelworld/ The overall winner of our annual competition will be entered into the IPMS branch champions competition at the following years Scalemodel world.
PLEASE COME ALONG TO OUR MEETINGS: If you would like to know more, please call or email us, but why not just come along and see for yourself. We look forward to welcoming you at our meetings. Please bring along any models that you are working on, or any that you would like to get help or advice on.
Membership Fees: First meeting is free. Annual Membership is £20 for age 17 and over, under 17's, free.
Area Covered: Our members travel from all over the Thames Valley, from the counties of Berkshire, Buckinghamshire (Bucks), Middlesex (Middx), Hampshire, Oxfordshire including the towns of Reading, Henley, Slough, Maidenhead, Marlow, High Wycombe, Beaconsfield, Chesham, Amersham, Aylesbury, Ascot, Bracknell, Windsor, Heathrow and Uxbridge, with some members travelling much, much further..........
Here are a few Frequently Asked Questions, and Answers!
1. You would be very welcome to attend the TVSMC - please just turn up to one of our Tuesday evening meetings to see if it suits you - it is free to come along to see if you like what we do.
2. We do have a number of modellers who work on 1/35 military vehicles, and some who make Diorama's / figures. Many of us build aircraft, but we welcome new members in different modelling genres.
3. Everyone at TVSMC is keen to see any models you are working on, you can bring along incomplete works/works in progress, to show what you are doing and to get advice. As most of the techniques in construction and painting are transferable between different model types, you should be able to ask a variety of people on how to improve or solve problems.
4. Our competitions run every month, leading up to the annual event (all detailed on the competition classes tab above). Some members bring along a new model every month, others one every few years, so no pressure at all, its all about doing what you enjoy, and sharing a common interest with others.
5. TVSMC exhibit at model shows around the UK, and we do have a display at the International Plastic Modellers Show at Telford every year. Please see http://ipmsuk.co.uk for their competition rules. TVSMC does have members who are IPMS national show class winners, and they are very helpful in supporting newcomers to learn new techniques and suggesting solutions to problems.
We look forward to welcoming new members to our meetings!