Weekend 13th July

Halfway through, and up and downs for both teams.

The 1s at home against Bexley, lost the toss and Bexley had a bat. At 12 for 2 thinks were looking hopefully as Steven Rowe and Mikey James picked up a wicket each. However inform George Wells had other ideas and along with overseas Medhi Abbas applied the pressure, as Abbas scored a 31 ball 50 before being getting out to Craig Buckham. Steven Rowe bowled well enough and picked up 5 wickets for 51 runs off 15 overs, and becomes the second person this year to get on the board. The other wickets were shared with Mikey James picking up 2 and Ben Allon 2 as Bexley fell a little short than they should have at 219 in the 53rd over, giving Sibton 2 extra overs.
In reply Sibton started well enough but unfortunately Tim Bishop went early again for 12. In form with the bat Andy Allon made good progress, along with Jake Benfield, before getting out for 42 and Benfield for 12. Still well in the game the Sibton batters tried but when Steve Hickmott fell for 34 it was time to shut up shop. However, Bexley are a decent bowling outfit and as only Martin Wren got into the 20s it was looking tight as people threw their wickets away unnecessarily. In the second to last ball of the game Sibton succumbed by gifting Bexley 20 points, and being all out for 166, well short in the end.
A bit disappointing by the 1s but still lots to play for, as the win/loss format starts next week away at Bromley. That said an excellent first half of the season.


Meanwhile the 2s were at St Lawrence. Losing the toss Sibton were asked to field first on a hot, sunny day. A poor start by Sibton saw the St Lawrence batters race off at 6 an over. However, Jamie Keeler picked up two wickets with his pacey outswing. At 20 overs St Lawrence were looking like getting a large total, however after Reynolds was caught and bowled by Ryan Currie for 49 and a bit later the same again to James Fowle for 80, it became apparent tehre wasn't much to come. Jamie Keeler returned after tight bowling from skipper Trevor Lewis, Tim Wren and Ryan Currie, to pull the game back and mopped up taking 7 for 51 off 13 overs, as St Lawrence got a mediocre 204 being bowled out in the 48 th over, giving Sibton 2 overs. Ryan Currie finished with 3 for 48.
In reply Sibton were on the charge as Terry Dunham flew out of the start blocks quickly getting 60 after opening partner Will Fabbro fell early. Dunham was caught eventually but the game was looking going Sibton's way at 80 of 12 overs. As Jamie Keeler continued with big shots and singles when he was dismissed for a fine 85 the game was all but done. It just left Adam Lamberton to maturely knock off the remainder of runs, with Harold Wren (after hitting two boundaries) to bring the game to a conclusion in 31 overs, at 208. A fine win and much needed win, but unfortunately other strange results in a league where everyone seems to be beating everyone still leaves the 2s second from bottom but well within touch of 3rd.
Linden Park visit Sibton next week.
A decent enough first half with some results frustratingly not going the 2s way, and availability issues too not helping. Lets hope for the continued winning ways.


In the week this week, Sibton attempt again at their 20/20 game away V Westgate on Tuesday and also the Godden Cup final on Friday at Folkestone's Three Hills Ground.

Sibton Park Cricket Club

Powered by GroupSpaces · Terms · Privacy Policy · Cookie Use · Create Your Own Group