Weekend 22nd June

A good weekend all round.
The 1s at home faced a tough Sevenoaks team. With a windy, murky and wet start the game was reduced to 35 overs and commenced at 2.15.
An excellent start saw Bish and AA get off to a flyer but unfortunately Bish couldn't build on his platform and fell for 34, with the score on 75. Unfortunately wickets then tumbled quickly as 75 for 1 slipped to 96 for 5 but not before AA produced another fine 50 before being stumped. However skipper Simon Knight and Martin Wren held up proceedings, as Steven Rowe came and went for 5, to push the score to 140 at the end of the 35 overs, with the skipper 17 not out and Wrenny cracking an nice 22. A bit below PAR score than Sibton would have liked, but an competitive total none the less.
So it proved as the game swayed Sibton's way at 47 for 3. However stalwart John Bowden and Ollie Howick held things up and the game swayed back to Sevenoaks as they were back in the driving seat. A flurry of wickets then saw the score at 108 for 7 as Jake Benfield and Mikey James picked vital wickets up. Soon a run out from poor calling and one wicket was required with 7 needed from the last over. As the number 11 slip drove the ball for 4, only 3 were required from 3 balls. Cometh the hour and Jakey Benfield nicked off Tom Parsons and it was all over, a fantastic win for the 1s. Wickets were shared but the pick were Jakey Benfield 3 for 20, Mikey James 3 for 43 and Steven Rowe 2 for 28.
Next week 4th plays 5th as the boys travel to Blackheath.


Meanwhile starting off in the rain, the 2s traveled to a dry Mote Park. 
Losing the toss skipper Trevor Lewis was asked to bat on a green looking pitch. However thanks to some wayward opening bowling, the Sibton openers got a start. However a couple of risky shots and both openers were going with the score on 30. Playing his first game back from uni, Will Fabbro looked competent and with Adam Lamberton moved the score on nicely putting on a 100 partnership with the unlucky Fabbro falling 2 short of his 50 with an impressive knock, the score at 131 with plenty of overs to go. Shortly after Lamberton got his well deserved 50 with some nice attacking shots, but wickets began to unnecessarily tumble. As Lamberton went for 68, it left Ryan Currie and Harold Wren to push the score on. Both easily got in to the 20's but were shortly dismissed, as the tail collapsed and what should have been a 240/250 score became 223 all out in the last over, leaving Tim Smith stranded on 4 red.
With runs to play with Sibton set about their task. However the first wicket didn't fall for a while as one or two four balls an over were bowled along with a lot of playing and missing, and a dropped chance behind the wicket. Tugboat Currie picked up the first wicket in his first few overs by frustrating the batsman. Then a very dull period of play resumed as Boat continued to bowl very well along with Trevor Lewis who only went for 21 off 10 tight overs. The Mote batsman got in to their 20s/30s/40s but were slow and along with some excellent tight fielding by Sibton the run rate increased.  As only 3 more wickets fell, The Mote looked stranded on 126 with 6 overs to go. Some late excitement and large hitting from The Mote's Richard Gentry livened things up, and after Gentry was dropped, The Mote finished on 195 for 4. (which begs the question as to why nothing like this happened earlier) All the bowlers bowled well enough, just need to cut the four ball. Outstanding fielding by all but Harry Wren, Josh Woodward and Will Fabbro were superb at their tender young ages. Summit Solanki was also very good this week, taking a comfortable catch.
A good performance by the 2s and a winning draw. Doesn't exactly zoom them up the league but it is all very tight with 7 points between 3rd and 9th.
A toughie against Hayes at home lies in wait for the 2s next week.


Sibton Park Cricket Club

Powered by GroupSpaces · Terms · Privacy Policy · Cookie Use · Create Your Own Group