Iron Butt Egg-Sanity Ride completed by 3 member-riders.

At our annual Iron Butt dinner last March Bob Annandale was intrigued by the description of a new ride challenge:  the Egg-Sanity 1000.  Evidently several of our riding friends were approached by Bob but only Ed Jarvis and myself were interested.  Bob worked out the locations of the four (4) 'waffle-style' breakfast location that would fall along a 1040 mile route, beginning and ending in VA. I laid out the actual route using DeLorme Street Atlas and we submitted our proposed plan to Mike Kneebone (IBA Pres) for pre-approval of the ride.    

On Sat evening 22nd we three met at a lovely run-down motel in Emporia, VA, near the NC border.  At 4:00 AM Sunday (43F) we motored over to the local Huddle House, the first of our four eating stops.  Only hours before they had an 'altercation' with another motorcycle group there and almost closed the restaurant.  To comply with the rules we took photos of each other eating eggs while holding the supplied (by the Iron Butt management) special ride flags.  We also photographed our receipts and sent all photos directly to Mike Kneebone.  From Emporia we rode west across North Carolina through some beautiful scenery in the mountains.  On smaller roads we continued down to Chatsworth, GA, about 500 miles from our start.  In Chatsworth we dined at the Royal Waffle King, produced the necessary photos and got back on our bikes to head up into Tennessee, and eventually back into Virginia.  Stopping at  Salem we had eggs (again!), took photos, recorded receipts, and motored on.  By Salem it was dark again and the temps had dropped 15 degrees.  From Salem it was back on the road north and east to our fourth and final chain, the Waffle House on West Broad St, in Richmond.  At 12:30AM the place was jumpin', tables full of hungry guests.  Once again we ate some eggs, took photos.  Lucky for me, home was just 10 minutes away and I was soon in bed.  

By visiting all four of these fine eateries we qualified for the Egg Sanity GOLD certificates!   

FYI - we covered 1060 miles in 16 hrs and a few minutes (moving time); total time was about 20 hours including all stops.  

IMG_1309.JPG
129.5Kb   View   Download
IMG_1323.JPG
113.67Kb   View   Download
Eggsanity Gold Route.docx
3.16Mb   Download

Richmond BMW Riders Club