The Shire of Kalamunda is currently calling for public comment on the Draft Perth Hills Trail Loop Concept Design Report. The Master plan and the Design Report have been developed in collaboration with the Shire of Kalamunda, the Shire of Mundaring and the Department of Parks and Wildlife (DPAW).
The report seeks to provide the strategic and policy context, some sport and recreation trends and participation rates, information on the benefits of trails, as well as identifying the key issues to be addressed in developing the loop and link trails as part of the overall Perth Hills trails network.
The outcome for this trail development project is to address identified strategic gaps in the regional trail network and how this can be addressed by;
1. Strengthen the trail link between Kalamunda Heritage Railway trail and Mundaring Railway Reserves Heritage trail.
2. Rationalise and strengthen the Mountain Bike trail link between Kalamunda Town Centre and mountain bike trails precinct.
3. Rationalise and strengthen the trail link between Kalamunda Heritage Railway trail and Pickering Brook.
4. Rationalise and strengthen the trail link between Pickering Brook and the Munda Biddi Trail.
5. Consider realignment of the Munda Biddi Trail (use of the existing shared use path adjacent to Pickering Brook Road)
6. Consider removing a section of the Munda Biddi Trail with the the realignment (via D & E).
The trail section development details, maps and implementation plan, describe how the loop and link trails can be achieved with the cooperation of key stakeholders and the support of State Government land managers to obtain the necessary approvals.