News and Announcements

Active Braintree and Active Essex sports Awards

E-mail sent by Member 182c56c, Wednesday, 19th September 2018 @ 10:17pm

Hello All

Russ Smith forwarded this from Active Braintree, which iis helpfull as it prompted me to have a look for the Active essex sports awards here https://www.activeessex.org/sports-awards-2018/

The 2018 Active Essex Sports Awards nomination process will be launched on Monday 3rd September and closes on Sunday 21st October.

Regards

Paul


---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Pavitt, Fern <fern.pavitt@braintree.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018, 12:01
Subject: 2018 Active Braintree Sports Awards
To: 

Good morning,
 
Please find attached the poster for the 2018 Active Braintree Sports Awards. Please could you circulate the attached with clubs in the district from your database?
 
Nominations are now open for the awards. Make your nominations before they close on Friday 5th October:https://www.activeessex.org/abdn-awards/
 
Kind regards,
 
Fern
 
Fern Pavitt
Leisure & Heritage Apprentice
Braintree Town Hall | Market Square | Braintree | CM7 3YG
(  01376 557776  | fern.pavitt@braintree.gov.uk

Equipment opportunities

E-mail sent by Member 182c56c, Thursday, 13th September 2018 @ 9:27am


Hi Gary 

Sorry to hear that your club has ceased 

With regards to the equipment if you can send me a list of what you have 
and if it has a price I can pass on to any persons who may be interested 
I have also copied in Dave (Chair of the East Region) and Paul (Chair of 
Essex Canoe Assoc) who may offer some ideas 

Thanks Russ 


Russell Smith
Area Development Officer – South East

Mobile: 07701 387974
Email: russell.smith@britishcanoeing.org.uk



image-10624-31209@uk01.rocketseed.com>" src="blob:http://groupspaces.com/845c7008-9628-4d39-a9fe-3b4a1269f697" alt="RSImage.jpeg" usemap="#imgmap2014430115728" class="rocketseed-strip Apple-web-attachment Singleton" border="0" style="max-width: 100%; height: auto;" />

National Water Sports Centre, Adbolton Lane, Holme Pierrepont, Nottingham, NG12 2LU 
www.britishcanoeing.org.uk

image-10625-31209@uk01.rocketseed.com>" src="blob:http://groupspaces.com/83fba72f-e738-48b0-a6dc-73489f504860" alt="RSImage.jpeg" usemap="#imgmap201452134843" class="rocketseed-strip Apple-web-attachment Singleton" border="0" style="max-width: 100%; height: auto;" />
 
-----Original Message----- 
From: Out There Club [mailto:outclub@freenetname.co.uk
Sent: 05 September 2018 19:19 
To: russell.smith@britishcanoeing.org.uk 
Cc: mail@out-there.org.uk 
Subject: Equipment opportunities 

Hi Russell 

Due to circumstances beyond our control the Out There Club based on 
Colchester has ceased canoeing activities. 
We have a large itinerary of Kayak equipment that we are looking to sell 
or donate to organisations in our area to promote the sport 

Do you have any means to pass this information to groups or organisations 
that may be interested? 

Regards 
Gary Wilson 
 
 

Essex Canooe Association meeting

  • Tuesday, 18th September 2018 at 7:30pm - 9:30pm
    Location: Wivenhoe Sailing Club, Walter Radcliffe Road, Wivenhoe, CO7 9WS

    All paddlers of any kind welcome. This venue has car parking and is a licenced premises. If you…

    • 6 people attended

ECA Meeting 18th September 2018

E-mail sent by Member 182c56c, Monday, 10th September 2018 @ 8:54pm

Hello All

Bruce Langley has kindly arranged a venue for our next ECA meeting on Tuesday the 18th September at Wivenhoe Sailing club Walter Radcliffe Rd, Wivenhoe, Colchester CO7 9WS,

The Agenda will be forwarded shorty but if you have anything you would like to be added to the the Agenda please let us know

Best Regards

Paul
07850 780002

Volunteer Awards

E-mail sent by Member 182c56c, Thursday, 16th August 2018 @ 11:04am

Hi Guys
 
Just wondering if you have any volunteers that you feel are doing a great job , if so would you like to nominate them for an award ?
https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/guidance-resources/volunteering/volunteer-awards-online-nominations#online-nominations
 
Cheers Russ


Russell Smith
Area Development Officer – South East

Mobile: 07701 387974
Email: russell.smith@britishcanoeing.org.uk

image-10622-32013@uk01.rocketseed.com>" src="blob:http://groupspaces.com/3cdd453b-c286-40da-9bf3-87afeced4137" alt="RSImage.jpeg" class="rocketseed-strip Apple-web-attachment Singleton" usemap="#imgmap2014430115550" border="0" beacon_priority="1" style="max-width: 100%; height: auto;" />
image-10624-32013@uk01.rocketseed.com>" src="blob:http://groupspaces.com/3bd2147b-693d-428f-a276-de8e7d9eea6f" alt="RSImage.jpeg" usemap="#imgmap2014430115728" class="rocketseed-strip Apple-web-attachment Singleton" border="0" style="max-width: 100%; height: auto;" />

National Water Sports Centre, Adbolton Lane, Holme Pierrepont, Nottingham, NG12 2LU 
www.britishcanoeing.org.uk

Slalom World Cup 2019

E-mail sent by Member 182c56c, Tuesday, 14th August 2018 @ 9:33am

Morning All 
 
Laura is  looking for help and support in recruiting some more volunteer sign ups for the 2019 Slalom World Cup, to be part of our CANOE CREW!
 
If you can get the words out to clubs to pass onto their members, that would be really great.
 
The link to the form is here: https://www.britishcanoeingevents.org.uk/volunteer-here/ 
 
Volunteer FAQs are attached.
 
Please spread the word!
 
The deadline for applications is the 14th September 2018 - 1 month to go!
 
Any questions contact laura.sutherland@britishcanoeing.org.uk
 
Cheers Russ
 


Russell Smith
Area Development Officer – South East

Mobile: 07701 387974
Email: russell.smith@britishcanoeing.org.uk

image-10622-19100@uk01.rocketseed.com>" src="blob:http://groupspaces.com/357e72a4-9b80-407b-985a-622611a85b19" alt="RSImage.jpeg" class="rocketseed-strip Apple-web-attachment" usemap="#imgmap2014430115550" border="0" beacon_priority="1" style="max-width: 100%; height: auto;" />
image-10624-19100@uk01.rocketseed.com>" src="blob:http://groupspaces.com/567b778d-beaa-4f1c-84d4-1506aa0ed90c" alt="RSImage.jpeg" usemap="#imgmap2014430115728" class="rocketseed-strip Apple-web-attachment" border="0" style="max-width: 100%; height: auto;" />

DW Website

E-mail sent by Member 182c56c, Monday, 16th July 2018 @ 10:36am

We recived this email from Steve Hicks, should any of your members wish to take part in the Devises to Westminster (either to race or just take part) this looks like a great rescource for anyone wishing to undertake the challange.  

Hi,

I found your details on the BCU website and was wondering if any of your club members might be interested in doing the Devizes to Westminster International Canoe Race at some point? 

If so, it would be really great if you could share the details of a website I've made which will help out anyone wanting to prepare and train for the race. 

My husband and I took part last year and have made a website to help out other paddlers who are new to DW. As we gained a huge amount of knowledge by preparing for the race we wanted to share this information with anyone else who might be interested in taking part in future.

The website is: www.zerotodwhero.com

Please feel free to have a look at the site and forward on the link to anyone who you think might be interested.

Thank you so much,

Steph Hicks

Falcon Canoe & Kayaking Club (Oxford)

Engaging women in paddlesport

E-mail sent by Member 182c56c, Monday, 16th July 2018 @ 10:32am

Hello All,

Following on from the recent ECA Meeting, the subject of engaging women in paddlesport was raised, the Essex Slalom squad currently has a "This Girl Can" program which is running. Russ Smith has kindly sent through the attached pdf which clubs may find of interest.

Best Regards

Paul

ECA AGM and Meeting for Tuesday the 3rd July 2018 19:30 to 21:30

E-mail sent by Member 182c56c, Monday, 18th June 2018 @ 5:22pm

Hello All

Apologies for the previous date the system had auto copied, so this is the real date 

Our next ECA meeting will include the AGM which will be from 7:30 pm to 9:30 pm on Tuesday the 3rd July at Maltings Academy, Spinks Lane, Witham CM8 1EPJust as a reminder could you forward your nominations for the various positions listed below:

·         Chairperson

·         Secretary

·         Treasurer

·         6 further committee members.

Please also forward any issues that you want added to the agenda for discussion.

If you have any questions, please contact me.

Look forward to seeing you at the meeting

Best Regards

Paul



ECA Club Constitution Final version.pdf

AGM AGENDA 2018.docx

 

ECA AGM and Meeting for Tuesday the 20th June 2017 19:30 to 21:30

E-mail sent by Member 182c56c, Monday, 18th June 2018 @ 5:05pm

Hello All

Our next ECA meeting will include the AGM  which will be from 7:30 pm to 9:30 pm at Maltings Academy, Spinks Lane, Witham CM8 1EPJust as a reminder could you forward your nominations for the various positions listed below:

·         Chairperson

·         Secretary

·         Treasurer

·         6 further committee members.

Please also forward any issues that you want added to the agenda for discussion.

If you have any questions, please contact me.

Look forward to seeing you at the meeting

Best Regards

Paul




ECA Club Constitution Final version.pdf

AGM AGENDA 2018.docx

 

GREAT SWIM SAFETY KAYAKER TEAM 2018

E-mail sent by Member 182c56c, Thursday, 24th May 2018 @ 2:38pm

Kayaker Qualifications

GREAT SWIM SAFETY KAYAKER TEAM 2018

GREAT NORTH SWIM Friday 8, Saturday 9 & Sunday 10 June 2018

New venue! Brockhole Visitors Centre, Windermere
Estimated start and finish times: Fri 10:30
18:30, Sat 08:0016:00, Sun 07:0017:00 (£285)

GREAT NORTH SWIMRUN Saturday 9 June 2018

Various locations around Windermere Full and half day roles available.

GREAT EAST SWIM Saturday 23 June 2018

Alton Water, Ipswich
Estimated start and finish times: 06:45 
– 16:30 (£100)

GREAT EAST SWIMRUN Saturday 23 June 2018

Alton Water, Ipswich
Estimated start and finish times: 09:00 
– 14:00 (£50)

GREAT SCOTTISH SWIM Saturday 25 August 2018

Loch Lomond
Estimated start and finish times: 07:00 
– 16:30 (£100)

Full event timetables can be found at www.greatswim.org

Kayakers are required to have at least one or more of the following qualifications 

  • -  Swim Event Safety Award (SESA)

  • -  BCU 2 star

  • -  A Canoe Safety Test or Foundation Safety and Rescue award

  • -  BCU Canoe Lifeguard qualification OR previous Great Swim event experience.

    Please note that kayakers must be a minimum of 16 years old.

    Payment

    You will need to bring an invoice with you to the event to be signed off by one of the organisers. The Great Swim invoice template will be sent to you in due course. Payment will be made within 30 days of the date on the invoice.
    If the event is cancelled within 7 days of the event date you will be paid 50% of the agreed fee.

    Kayaks

    You will be required to provide your own kayak. It must be a kayak of appropriate design - open canoes and play boats are not accepted.

    Uniforms

    All kayakers will be provided with a Bib to be worn over their PFD to indicate which team they belong to. This should be worn at all times on the water. It is the responsibility of the individual kayaker to provide all other clothing and kit (eg. splash decks, paddles etc).

    Refreshments

    Kayakers will be provided with a basic refreshment pack at the start of the day (sandwiches, drinks, fruit, energy/chocolate bars). Additional hot drinks will be available throughout the day.

Follow us on Facebook for updates and information. Search ‘Great Swim Safety Kayakers’ and ‘Like’ us!

Safety Volunteers for Lee Valley

E-mail sent by Member 182c56c, Tuesday, 15th May 2018 @ 2:43pm

Dear All please see the message below, if you have WW safety and Rescue training and would like to volunteer please contact Daniel 



Hi All,

Unfortunately British Canoeing have lost the voluntary safety cover which we had access too over the Winter period for the LV Legacy sessions and we are struggling to add safety cover from the Centre for the upcoming Legacy dates.

Is there anybody who would be available on the below days who has the necessary experience/qualifications who would be willing to provide bank side safety cover for a free Legacy session? Please contact myself (daniel.thompson@britishcanoeing.org.uk) if you are able to assist and/or would like to book onto any future LV Legacy sessions. 



 
Thur, 17 May 2018 LEGACY 20:00 21:00
Thu, 24 May 2018 LEGACY 20:00 21:00
Fri, 25 May 2018 LEGACY 20:00 21:00
Thu, 31 May 2018 LEGACY 20:00 21:00
Fri, 01 June 2018 LEGACY 20:00 21:00
Thur, 07 June 2018 LEGACY 20:00 21:00
Fri, 08 June 2018 LEGACY 20:00 21:00
Thur, 14 June 2018 LEGACY 20:00 21:00
Fri, 15 June 2018 LEGACY 20:00 21:00
Fri, 18 May 2018 LEGACY 20:00 21:00
Thur, 21 June 2018 LEGACY 20:00 21:00
Fri 22 June 2018 LEGACY 20:00 21:00
Thu, 28 Jun 2018 LEGACY 20:00 21:00
Fri, 29 Jun 2018 LEGACY 20:00 21:00


Kind Regards 


Daniel Thompson
Talent Programme Administration Officer

Tel: 0115 9822094 EXT 7 
Email: Daniel.Thompson@Britishcanoeing.org.uk


 

Safety Volunteers for Lee Valley

E-mail sent by Member 182c56c, Tuesday, 15th May 2018 @ 12:54pm

Dear All please see the message below, if you have WW safety and Rescue training and would like to volunteer please contact Daniel 



Hi All,

Unfortunately British Canoeing have lost the voluntary safety cover which we had access too over the Winter period for the LV Legacy sessions and we are struggling to add safety cover from the Centre for the upcoming Legacy dates.

Is there anybody who would be available on the below days who has the necessary experience/qualifications who would be willing to provide bank side safety cover for a free Legacy session? Please contact myself (daniel.thompson@britishcanoeing.org.uk) if you are able to assist and/or would like to book onto any future LV Legacy sessions. 



 
Thur, 17 May 2018 LEGACY 20:00 21:00
Thu, 24 May 2018 LEGACY 20:00 21:00
Fri, 25 May 2018 LEGACY 20:00 21:00
Thu, 31 May 2018 LEGACY 20:00 21:00
Fri, 01 June 2018 LEGACY 20:00 21:00
Thur, 07 June 2018 LEGACY 20:00 21:00
Fri, 08 June 2018 LEGACY 20:00 21:00
Thur, 14 June 2018 LEGACY 20:00 21:00
Fri, 15 June 2018 LEGACY 20:00 21:00
Fri, 18 May 2018 LEGACY 20:00 21:00
Thur, 21 June 2018 LEGACY 20:00 21:00
Fri 22 June 2018 LEGACY 20:00 21:00
Thu, 28 Jun 2018 LEGACY 20:00 21:00
Fri, 29 Jun 2018 LEGACY 20:00 21:00


Kind Regards 


Daniel Thompson
Talent Programme Administration Officer

Tel: 0115 9822094 EXT 7 
Email: Daniel.Thompson@Britishcanoeing.org.uk


 

Eastern Region Touring program

E-mail sent by Member 182c56c, Wednesday, 18th April 2018 @ 10:57am

Many of the clubs in the East Region have agreed to come together to deliver a programme of Touring Events with the aim of having one Touring Sunday every month. A different club will host each Tour and it will be open to all clubs in the Region. The basic format of each event will be similar:-

  • The Touring Events will be aimed at those of 2* Standard (2 Seasons paddling) and above to provide opportunities for intermediate paddlers to paddle different rivers around the Region.
  • To ensure there is adequate on-water cover:-
    • All paddlers will be paddling with a Club. The Club will be responsible for the paddlers in their group.
    • Each Club will complete an On Water Registration Form on the day. This will identify the Club, the On Water Leader(s) and the Club members in the group. An On Water Contact number will also be recorded, if available. It will also be linked to the Risk Assessment.
    • Each Club will check out at the end of the Tour, before leaving the River, so the organisers can confirm that all paddlers have completed the Tour.
    • Clubs will confirm attendance at the Tour with the Organiser before the event. This will make it easier for the organisers to understand that everyone has arrived, and will make it possible for the Organiser to cancel the event if weather conditions dictate.
    • Paddles will only be open to individuals if a club is willing to take responsibility for them. For this reason, many paddles will be open to other clubs only.
  • The Organising club will provide the following services:-
    • An Entry for the programme of Events
    • Date and Start time. (Ideally not too early, to allow for transport from a distance)
    • Details of Parking (Locations & fees) and Car shuttle if necessary.
    • A basic plan for the trip in advance - Start and End points, timings, tides (if appropriate), hazards, emergency exit points etc. so that club coaches can prepare in advance.
    • Any specific Risks associated with the trip will be called out and identified on the Risk Assessment.
    • An On shore contact, may be provided, who can assist if a club needs to end their trip early. (e.g. By giving the leader a lift to where their car is parked)
    • An Overall organiser who takes overall responsibility and decides whether to proceed or cancel, for instance.

Details of the specific events can be found through the Left Hand menu Bar.

For details of any of the trips, please read the information on this site. To register onto a trip please contact the organiser.

For other questions, please contact Tim Midwinter at mailto:info@debencanoeclub.org.uk.

NOTE: These events are aimed at Clubs attending and providing their own On Water Safety Cover. The Organisers may not have any capacity to support individual paddlers at an event. If in doubt, please ask before attending.

BC Eastern Region Touring Program
__--
 

NAVIGATION CLOSURE UPDATE 20th March 2018

E-mail sent by Member 182c56c, Thursday, 5th April 2018 @ 5:07pm

NAVIGATION CLOSURE UPDATE 20th March 2018 via Clive Marfleet Area Coaching Representative

Due to a structural failure at Little Baddow Weir the water levels have 
been lowered between Stonham’s Lock and Little Baddow Lock.  This is to 
protect the sluices and associated brickwork above the weir.  Emergency 
repairs will be undertaken as soon as possible.  It is envisaged that 
these repairs will take a number of weeks to complete.  The Navigation 
between Little Baddow and Stonham’s will therefore remain closed until 
further notice.  We apologise for any inconvenience.  Please contact 
the Navigation Manager for more information

British Canoeing Russ Smith ADO Message to all clubs

E-mail sent by Member 182c56c, Monday, 2nd April 2018 @ 9:58am

Dear Clubs in Eastern Region, South East Region,
 
First let me introduce myself , I am Russell Smith and  am the Area Development Officer (South East).  As hopefully you will know British Canoeing has released its plan for 2017 to 2021 – “Stronger Together “.  
 
As part of this plan the Area Development Officers have been asked to work with clubs and centres to deliver shared outcomes, particularly around membership growth and retention.
 
Whilst I will not be able to support all the clubs within the area, the hope is to work with those that are looking to move forwards to develop a bigger, more sustainable club for the future you are interested in working with me over the next year
If you are interested I  please let me know and I will get back to you on return from my Holiday (9th April ) to arrange to come and meet you and your team to see what support I can offer 
If possible can you provide me with what you would like to work together on and what benefit I can bring; showing how it is within both your club development plan and links to Stronger Together.
Looking forward to hearing from you 
Happy Easter 
 
Thanks Russ
 
 

Russell Smith
Area Development Officer – South East

Tel: 0115 896 8847 
Mobile: 07701 387974
Email: russell.smith@britishcanoeing.org.uk

 
 

National Water Sports Centre, Adbolton Lane, Holme Pierrepont, Nottingham, NG12 2LU 
www.britishcanoeing.org.uk


 

Sign this petition if you would like to see the C2 still competing in slalom

E-mail sent by Member 182c56c, Tuesday, 27th March 2018 @ 9:50pm

"The International Canoe Federation has voted this weekend in Tokyo the abandonment of the two-seater canoe for the World Championships and the World Cup at the moment"

With these words, the International Canoe Federation (ICF) announced on March 24th. The two-seater canoe, a historical discipline of canoeing, has just been squeezed out of the international program.

Because we continue, we saved the two-seater canoe and make it a place for international competitions, we must act, and contradict this meaningless decision.

"Sauver le canoe biplace face à l'ICF - Save C2 against ICF" and wanted to see if you could help by adding your name.

Our goal is to reach 5,000 signatures and we need more support. You can read more and sign the petition here:

https://chn.ge/2pLD4Ym

 

Discover our website www.savec2.org
Contact me : contact@savec2.org

Pierre.m. P

Coach Course

E-mail sent by Member 182c56c, Tuesday, 27th March 2018 @ 10:52am

Dear All,

Harlow Outdoors is running a Core Coach training Course. 

This will be running on Saturday 14th April and Sunday 15th April 2018, 9am-5pm on both days.

This is a two day training course that introduces the generic shared coaching content that is relevant to all paddlesport coaches at this level. 

Please find attached a leaflet with the course details as well as details about other courses running at Harlow Outdoors throughout the rest of the year. Please contact Harlow Outdoors on 01279 620270, as soon as possible to book your spot.

Kind regards

Callum

Callum Bates

Business and Customer Support Assistant

Essex Outdoors Harlow

01279 620270

 Paddle courses for 2018.pdf

Composite Kayak

E-mail sent by Member 182c56c, Friday, 23rd March 2018 @ 10:30am

Alexa has kindly shared with us a Glass fibre Kayak that is available if you are interested please email Alexa Alexa.Cadwallader@ActiveEssex.org

British Canoeing Touring working group it would be great to get county representation

E-mail sent by Member 182c56c, Tuesday, 27th February 2018 @ 10:08am


It would be great to get a passionate county representation for this group, touring is one of the key activities and the ECA would like to support this. Just let us know if your applying. This is the email from Russ Smith.


Hi Guys


 
Just picked this up from HQ -  knowing that Touring has been a hot topic recently at meetings thought it may be of interest 
 
Just to let you know last week we put an advert out for a Touring working group. If you know anyone that you think would be good to apply, please spread the word and encourage. This group will be advising us on the touring award and also social touring based events/ challenges. 
 
https://www.britishcanoeing.org.uk/news/2018/british-canoeing-volunteers-recreational-touring/
 
It would be good to get a range of people on the group and some newer faces. 
 
Cheers Russ. 
 

Russell Smith
Area Development Officer – South East

Tel: 0115 896 8847 
Mobile: 07701 387974
Email: russell.smith@britishcanoeing.org.uk


Essex Canoeing Association

Powered by GroupSpaces · Terms · Privacy Policy · Cookie Use · Create Your Own Group