Registration is now open for the Down Syndrome Association of Central Oklahoma’s annual “Reaching Across the Plains” conference. The conference will take place on March 29, 2014 from 9:00 a.m. until 5;00 p.m. at the Reed Center in Midwest City. Registration will begin at 8 a.m.
Cost to attend is $40 per individual and $70 per couple. Cost includes breakfast and lunch.
Dr. Patrick Schwarz will be giving the morning and lunch key-note addresses and will also be speaking at two breakout sessions for the 4-12 and 13-20 age ranges. Dr. Schwarz is a dynamic and engaging professor, author, motivational speaker and leader in inclusive education, special education and human services. He is a professor at National-Louis University, Chicago and owns Creative Culture Consulting LLC. He is the author of From Disability to Possibility, You’re Welcome (with Paula Kluth), Just Give Him the Whale (with Paula Kluth) and Pedro’s Whale (with Paula Kluth). His new book is From Possibility to Success.
Although the conference is being held by DSACO, the topics being presented will be valuable for any parent who is raising a child with a developmental disability.
Breakout session topics will include:
· Teaching Communication Skills with Sign Language
· Physical Therapy Techniques to Promote Muscle Development
· Guide to Community Services
· Universal Design, Differentiation and Curriculum Adaptations
· Creating a Care Notebook
· Strategies for Communicating Clearly & Respectfully with Children
· How to Encourage Positive Behavior in Teens
· Transition from School to Post School Best Practices
· Creating a Transition Care Notebook
Parents living with Adults with Down Syndrome
· Exploring Issues Related to Down Syndrome and Aging
· An Overview of Using the In-Home Waiver for Self-Directed Services
· Special Screening of the Documentary Monica & David